FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DELAYING THE GREYING: Through Distinguished Eyes


Whenever my grey whiskers begin to brandish themselves, which is usually after a couple weeks safekeeping under a generous application of, "Just For Men",  I look at them and ask myself, "Dave, are you ready to go grey"? 


The whole interlude reminds me of the way Audrey Hepburn writes-off a dapper gentleman who shows up at her party in lieu of a richer, younger and more naïve “Kat”.  She goes on to eternally label him as “Tres Distangue” in the classic Breakfast at Tiffany’s. 

Well there are younger varieties of “Gentlemen” to whom the term, “Distangue” or “Distinguished” may be immanent but not yet settled-in enough to be fully applicable.  It is especially to these young-Gavin’s that I extend the hand of brotherly commune.  Yes! Yes! Yes!  There will be time and enough to be “Le monsieur totale signala” in a manner expected of your style but live the moment when it commeth Brotha!  Be distinguished in your heart and be so known by your deeds but keep the color going unless it is your particular style to accent your tete and visage with a tinct of grey. 


Gentlemen, have a mind that there are many distinguishing characteristics that denote ones overall aesthetic but there is a point at which the word has generally been corrupted to appear to denote an accomplished and respectable but physically decrepit man.  This is neither the proper use of the term nor the effect I am sure any younger gentleman who is genuinely distinguished would like to feature.  The way, man, to dispel the myth is to live it!


If I had a son then this would be one my many fatherly talks with him in his mid to late thirties or whenever he began to show the first rumours of grey.  I’d say,

“Son, there’s no problems with going grey for as you know your father has been grey for some time now although I choose to colour my hair.  It’s a vanity of mine you might do well to learn.  This is son, if you feel comfortable with it.  Remember son that man created technology to handle things just such as this”.  A Kodak moment to be sure...  I remember wondering at the tubes of Grecian Formula and boxes of Just For Men my dad used in the 1970’s.  My father was and is an amazingly handsome man.   He had every cologne that was popular at the time.  When I was home alone I used to just admire his collection of ties and dress shirts, cufflinks and medallions, tuxedo shirts and studs, bow ties, belts, wallets, combs, braces and shoes shaving razors and after shave cremes and shoe polishes.  My father had all the cool gear and I loved pretending I was going to go out and look cool just like him.  I wanted to be just like my dad.  And all the time I was too young to understand what I was really looking at was a distinguished gentleman in his mid to late 30’s just taking the grey out of his perfectly cut Afro. 

Since I’m clearly a fan of delaying the grey-in let me direct this question at you!  Let me assure you that if you share my passion to control every aspect of your visage... then you should have your wish!  Now this is where the boys do separate from the men.  If you are the type of gentleman who prides himself in his appearance then this is not the time to let yourself begin falling apart!  Don’t just think of it as a vanity… It actually is but who said a little vanity is not good when spread around in just the right places.   

Restoring color to your hair or even applying a different one is easy and simple.  Generally you can get a hair dye or rinse over the counter and apply it at home.  Men's hair color is not the tedious type used in Salons by women that have to be professionally administered but if you are uncertain about your ability to pull it off successfully you should ask your barber to help you.  You will find that most men do it all the time and will even share their tips with you the same as shaving or other men’s grooming tips. 

When it comes to matters of grooming it seems a gentleman always has new and helpful tools and techniques to add to his regimen.  There are touch up sticks for mustaches and beards small enough to fit in your shirt or coat pocket.  Soon I am sure they will invent a permanent color that won’t wash or fade away after several weeks.


What’s the moral of this story? There can only be one! Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to just sit and let nature take it’s course… trust me it’s going to do that anyway but you can still have lots of fun tricking it while it does…  The greying process is natural and some men absolutely love it.  But if you find that you are one of those who don’t then don’t waste any time getting rid of it… right down to the last fleck.  Now is the time to start “Delaying The Greying”…..







No comments:

Post a Comment