FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Saturday, December 15, 2012

RENTING VS BUYING: THE STRUGGLE OF A WORKING MAN RE-EVALUATING THE AMERICAN DREAM...


 

 

A few years ago I was seriously trying to buy a condominium in Washington, D.C. but the more I examined the lamentable crop diminutive condominiums the more hesitant I got.  I quickly identified the hustle, realtors and property owners created  grandiose real estate descriptions borrowed from palatial mansions in the suburbs like , “Spacious two bedroom, two bath, with powder room, huge kitchen and entertainment, hard wood floors close to metro and downtown amenities.” The only thing they failed to include was the fact that all these lovely features had been crammed into roughly 500 to 800 square feet which means you had to fry chicken sitting on the sofa while you entertained and you could rest your foot but not the rest of your body in the 5 ft. x 10 ft. “Luxurious master bedroom suite”.  But the biggest deal killer for me was the lack of closet space in spite of the fact that most units had walk in closets larger than the bedroom and living room.   I cannot tell you that after touring a few of these disappointing urban shacks not only did I feel that my intelligence was being insulted but I realized I could get more than twice as much bang for my buck in the suburbs… Being a dyed-in-the-wool city boy of course carried great weight with me which is why although I’ve fallen in love with many rentals, condominiums and houses in the suburbs I am still living in a rather large rental efficiency downtown in the heart of the city... 

 

I thought about all the people who got stuck with mortgages from $800,000, $1.5 million and up.  All of those properties were now worth less than half of what they sold for and their owners had the misfortune of watching while neighboring properties sold for a fraction of what they paid the bank!  So I after bidding on a couple of grossly overpriced properties I pulled out completely to do some serious soul searching.  A conservative man by nature I started to question everything…

 

1.       Was I serious about attempting to buy something so expensive it would take me 30 years to pay for it? 

 

2.       Was I seriously going to purchase property for which I’d have to keep a roommate or four housemates in order to pay my mortgage?

 

3.       In the grand scheme of things was the elusive dream of property ownership worth the financial risks or was it simply cheaper and less of a risk to let some other sucker take on the mortgage and financial responsibilities of property ownership?  While renting I was both financially independent and I had the option of packing up and leaving at any time with no responsibilities past the satisfaction of my outstanding bills; up until now I had been willing to pay more than most people paid for their mortgage in order to enjoy this financial freedom…  Was I really going to give up this advantage?

 


 

Why in the world would anyone want to purchase something that would take 30 years to pay off knowing they would still owe property taxes annually?  In 30 years I’d be either close to dead or too old to be able to manage maintenance of a property.  When I sat in landlord tenant court one day and watched while an elderly couple in their late eighties got evicted from their home which they purchased when they were a young couple I realized that the real estate and banking scam of “The Great American Dream” was not going to add me to their list of junkies! After all, we were talking about nothing more than bricks and mortar or sticks and nails.  To the layman this connection might not be as obvious but to the architectural and engineering professional such as me a building was just a stack of bricks and mortar, sticks and nails, nothing more, and certainly not worth so much that it  would take me 30 years to buy. 

 

Taking on roommates or investing in rental property was the second option that appeared to make purchasing property rather than renting property seem more viable to me.  But for me the investment in a rental property that had two separate units was way too expensive, it would still take me 30 or more years to pay off the mortgage with renters.  I had rented rooms from some of my friends at various times to help them with their mortgages but I was a person who enjoyed privacy and that is precisely what neither of us had under those conditions.  Having visited friends who were doing the sharehouse thing, two in a one bedroom three in a two bedroom I was firmly opposed to what amounted to dormitory life.  Even when I was in college I had a private room or apartment off campus so why would I move backwards in my living situation to add the annoyance of multiple personalities add clutter, add noise, add company, missing groceries, etc. and you have a recipe for something I did not have any palate for. 

 

There just didn’t seem to be any way I could avoid becoming a sucker with a mortgage! I was so determined not to fall into that trap! And let me assure you it is indeed a financial trap!  After all I am a free spirit, a loner, I need my independence and privacy and I don’t want to be tied down to anything that could potentially take me for a ride.  I wanted to be the one getting the deal not the bank and realtor getting fat off bonus and interest for a commodity that was overpriced from the very beginning!  I struggled and struggled until I decided I was not going to become another victim of the banking system.  I thought about getting a group of investors together but that would only increase the rate at which the property got paid off and not eliminate the unjustified cost and the profit would be lost after being split in multiple direction.  You have to do the math on that one to find out at what point you will actually experience a profit on your investment… if its 30 years from now then you’ve been suckered because trust me, the lender and real estate brokers are going to experience profits starting right now!

 

The next battery of questions started to haunt me as I second guessed my decision to remain a renter.  I like to call these affectionately, “The Economic What-If’s of Real Estate Investment”!

1.       What if something catastrophic happened and I was stuck with that mortgage and no way to pay it? 

2.       What if I lose my tenants?

3.       Finally… What if I just continue to rent and let some other sucker mange the mortgage and taxes while I preserve the ability to come or go as I please at least until this market really stabilizes?

 

In this time of uncertain job security and in a market that has been slow to create new job opportunities for the unemployed one must consider the untimely event of the loss of a job or the possibility that an injury or health condition will make it impossible to work and earn sufficient salary to pay ones mortgage.  In the past when mortgages were relatively low and reasonable this might not be such an issue but when one is facing a mortgage ranging from nearly $2,000 a month for just a 1 bedroom apartment condominium the picture gets a lot more real!  Paying that kind of money for a box stacked atop a heap of other boxes with no lawn, no roof, no privacy… all I can say to that is, “O Hell No!”

 

Most landlords will tell you that the problem is typically not finding a tenant, its finding a good tenant who pays on time.  But even a good tenant who pays on time is not a promised thing, tenants come and tenants go!  When looking at rental properties one must bear in mind that the value of a rental is only so good as your ability to keep them rented.  Having one vacant unit for one or more months can completely unravel ones finances when they are predicated upon the receipt of that rent to balance the equation.  Every time, every month you experience a missing tenant vacancy you have to pull the rent out of your own pocket… For an experienced, established landlord owning multiple properties this should be no issue but for someone just getting started with little or no overflow cash in reserves this is a serious issue.  Of course this is a risk every landlord takes so if one is going to gamble then one must embrace the possibility of loss… I’m not a gambler by nature unless I have already worked out all the angles… the unknown and unpredictable element of the vacant tenant variable or the nonpaying tenant variable is definitely food for thought but in my book a virtual deal killer for a small time investor such a I would be… but in this case not merely an investor, a big sucker with a red bulls-eye pained on my derriere…

 

So for now I went with option number three… let some other sucker deal with the mortgage whilst I enjoy the leisurely life of being a renter… For now at least it suits me well.   I am still not happy with the way local real estate has settled down from the zany mortgage pregnancies of 2004-2006 and I believe they should come down another $100,000 to $150,000 if not more to better reflect the stagnation of personal income, unemployment and the rise in the price of virtually every other commodity in this country… Something if not everything has got to give and better real estate and retail prices than the entire American economy?

 

Being a frugal and cautious man I am still entertaining those and other debates concerning the price point of retail commodities including real estate.   But the greatest concern I have had throughout the entire real estate market crash has been for that demon we call the credit rating system!  Was I on crack in 2005-2006 or did the credit rating system utterly, fundamentally and catastrophically fail?  Since I certainly was not on crack I have to ask myself if the rest of the country all the way up to the oval office was smoking some strange and hallucinogenic intoxicant!  Without a doubt the real estate and banking industry was reeling high on crack while playing a dangerous game with the American Economy.  They created an artificial housing shortage and therefore an artificial demand in order to raise the price of rents and mortgages on a global level.  But when the bottom fell out with the result that properties once valued in the millions could now be only worth a fraction of their former worth I could honestly say to my friends and colleagues, “I predicted this economic downturn,” and they all had to bow their heads admitting I was right!  I am not proud of being the stormcrow of economic failure but the signs were obvious!  The path that banks in league with the real estate industry were taking was not sustainable!  It was not normal!  Anyone with half a wit could see that something catastrophic was going to happen when properties were being flipped over and over again and each time gaining many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in estimated value merely because some hardwood floors, travertine tile or stainless steel ovens were installed… the whole fiasco was absolutely insane to me at the time and yes, now I am that annoying man who is smiling and saying, “I told you so!”

 

So what happened? When people make huge mistakes like the real estate and banking industry did they usually get severely punished and regulated by the government.  But nothing happened… everyone was walking around like zombies in boom-ville U.S.A. thinking soon real estate prices would magically resume their former levels of outrage and absurdity!  Some of them are yet holding their breath… most of them are losing their properties to foreclosure.  The banks, are getting paid and their collusion with Wall Street has as yet gone completely unpunished.  In such a climate there is no small  wonder that a growing number of people who no longer have faith in the credit rating system and the entire idea of a long term mortgage are opting not to own property but to let some other sucker take on the task.  We all know the credit rating system failed to predict what its abstract system of hocus pocus mumbo jumbo pretended to predict, the ability of a lender to pay his debt, but now that all seems to have been lost to history… forgotten… as if Will Smith had held a nebulizer before the faces of America and pushed the button!

 

So the American people did not rise up demanding that the credit rating system used by banks to pimp and enslave them be abolished?  They sat by while huge monopolies were not only bailed out of financial ruin but glutted themselves with new victims of aggrandizement?  Nobody balked and nobody cared… they just wanted things to somehow go back to the way they were.  But not me, I wanted things to go back to the way the way they were fair, which in my estimate had not been since very late in the 1970’s.  I thought to myself, every era has something to which its people are enslaved!  Cars, Houses, Fine Dining (and drinking), Travel and of course, Rent are all things which have enslaved us in the past and present. 

 

So I had to ask myself, why, in a time when the country’s economy is doing its very worse since the great depression is credit rating still even in existence, who in this terrible economy actually has good credit and why?  Didn’t he banks get enough wealth selling criminally overpriced properties to people they knew couldn’t afford them and then sell them back again to new suckers after the original owners had foreclosed?  Didn’t those owners, the first suckers, have to pass a credit check?  If the credit check failed to predict the crisis that was to ensue what good was it in the first place?  The answer is that it was then and is now a great scam, a shameful and deceptive practise designed to profit on those who have been deemed bad credit risks.  Surely everyone who was sold a house they could not afford was a bad credit risk but nonetheless cleared by the credit rating business to own property.  Because I had to answer myself with a clear “Yes” all I could do to calm my spirit was to let out a great, disappointed sigh… I thought to myself… smart kid, you held out!

 

But what a hell of a whirlwind this country has been in since the beginning of the real estate boom and collapse… I’m no longer tempted to invest in properties that would ultimately, inexorably suck money out of my pockets and less tempted to invest in rental properties that hold the promise of a monthly paycheck I must ultimately pay back to the lender.  I’ve abandoned the Single Family Dwelling scheme, I mean dream and the rental property dream because any way you slice it I’d still have to own it, manage it, become enslaved to it!  For now I am still playing out the battle of renting vs Buying in my head, content to rent and let some sucker manage the mortgage for me hoping when I do decide to take the plunge I won’t be just to become another sucker who has given in to the hype, giving up his freedom to be a renter rather than a buyer…

 

FIN

 

David Vollin
Administrator
www.forthebrothas.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment