FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Thursday, September 6, 2012

OUR LOVE IS SO GOOD...


I wrote this song while I was thinking about some past lovers and the good times we shared, the fundamental moments in which we built a strong relationship…  this song celebrates the good side of all of my past lovers and the mutual friendship, companionship and understanding we built together…  it is titled; “Our Love Is So Good” and I hope you enjoy it.  It was written to be sung but it reads easy like a poem…

OUR LOVE IS SO GOOD…

 

The nature of his manhood told me

That he would be the one to hold me

That he would be the one to kiss me

To love me, to miss me

The manner of my manhood told him

That I would be the one to mold him

That I would be the man to hold him

To love him, to scold him

I never met a man so tender

A man so ready to surrender

Who knew that I was his defender

His lover, his mentor

Two men have never had it so good

I want to make each moment so good

To be away from him is no good

So ill love him the way I should

When I get off from work I rush home

When I’m at work I text to his phone

I never want to leave him alone

From the moment that I get home

That man is all I ever asked for

And I am all that he had asked for

And if I ever feel he needs more

I step in to give him more

Two men have never had it so good

The love we share is always so good

The way we care is truly so good

Its so good, its so good….

 FIN

Written by David Vollin

2 comments:

  1. awww,.. David these are some very special & sincere words in this song I absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete