FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Friday, July 27, 2012

WHERE THE LOVE IS...



For many years now I have witnessed a trend in popular culture regarding the way it deals with human sexuality.  In my opinion modern culture has shifted from one which celebrated and supported the elusive but unmistakably powerful concept of love to a culture that downgrades romantic love in lieu of a baser and meaner sensibility driven primarily by sex. 



It has always been my belief that it is far more difficult to manage the awesome responsibility that comes with sex once it has been removed from a loving and romantic context.  That is why we find ourselves developing an interpersonal relationship even with the most casual of sex partners, it is how we humans socialize and sex, is a very keen dimension of human socialization.  Sex taken straight with no chaser is after all merely a verb; it lacks a subject, its raison d’etre…



When I hear someone brag about sleeping with someone else’s partner it deeply disturbs me for two reasons, the first being  that it lacks any semblance of classiness and the second is that it is fundamentally immature.  This of course is only my opinion…



I am far from Victorian in my understanding and expression of sexuality but to me love is a very private affair unless you are being paid to have sex in front of an audience...  In a desperate attempt to achieve some manner of uniqueness some twenty-first century humans are willing to cast away their privacy, their individuality in order to be a generic entry in the daily affairs of complete strangers.    Yesterday I overheard at least 3 explicit conversations in the mass transit system o’er blue tooth.  The first time someone publicized a naughty affair it was novel… now it is just another generic and impotent grasp for sexual bravado, at least in my opinion. 



The dynamics of love and sex are always very complex so a mature person would never jeopardize their sex or life partner’s stability by putting their business out on the street; this is a matter of individual choice.  For instance, if I reference a sexual experience I would never mention any names or offer any obvious hallmarks by which my partner could be readily identified out of respect for their privacy.  Anyone can understand that it is unwise to expose their partners personal business without their consent knowing the possible ramifications and understanding the unspoken covenant of honor and privacy that should be emblazoned upon any relationship if intimacy.  There must be some respect should the data ever reach their partner or spouse, children or other loved ones…  To ignore these obvious and critical concerns is not mature, again in my opinion.   What mature person would be willing to score sexual game points against the happiness of others?…  Perhaps only someone who is profoundly insecure and immature…



So where is the love?  Where is the politeness and maturity in our complex highly technologically and socially evolved culture?  Now that the shock of scandal is long since over… a numb society appears to be lost in a downward spiral of degrading reruns of history…   If culture is like a pendulum swinging from one extreme to the other, when will it begin to move back to a point of social decency and humanity? 

I am not saying that an affair and especially a brief, perhaps one time sexual escapade is wrong by suggesting it be kept private nor am I endorsing it.  In my opinion, and to borrow a decidedly over-used cliché, “It Is What It Is,”!  I will not attach any moral or ethical judgments on sexuality because I believe it should be free to explore…  But because I am a humanitarian and a gentleman I will add that because we know that humans are sensitive, emotional beings sex and sexuality must be always handled with as much gracefulness and tact as can be managed.   To approach it with no decorum at all is, in my opinion unworthy of the centuries long lessons we have learned as human organisms on this planet, it is Barbaric!

I hearken back to the lyrical content of a song I cannot wholly recall save that it said something like, “I slept with your man and when we made love last night he was my man.”  As I pondered the utter ignorance of this lyric disclosure I wondered if the writer or the singer even realized how it contradicted itself.  All I heard was Your Man ”and“ Was my Man two clues that in spite of the sexual charms of this media temptress she ultimately did not wield enough erotic power to successfully and permanently pluck this fruit from its nuptial vine!  At the end of the day she was just a quick fuck!  Her claims to this man relegated to the dubious lyrics of a song but devoid of the tangible prize itself… the man!  How adults could ever become entangled in such sophomoric nonsense is hard for me to understand now that I am a mature gentleman…  but even harder is when I see men emulating this same posture, the posture and swagger, (if in fact women can have a swagger), of a female bragging about the virtues of her, “Pussy Power”!  Again, gentlemen, this is only my opinion and it is not intended to offend anyone but I had to ask myself, as a man, if this was a posture a proclamation worthy of and exemplary of a man and of a gentleman.   My conclusion was that it was not manly at all, not gentlemanly, not even womanly… it was Barbaric! 



I think old-timers continue to listen to doo-wop and mid 70’s soul ballads, to go to hand-dancing cabarets and concerts rather than participate in the patently unfriendly night life of this new era not merely because they are caught in a time warp, which even were it so would be their prerogative, rather they are intelligent and sensitive enough to recognize that something has gone measurably wrong with music and culture in this early twenty-first century.  Used to love, they are hearkening back to a place where love was and is figuratively, still…  


The world is not devoid of love by any stretch of the imagination, although society has moved to an antiseptic sexual reality there are still people, artists and places that know what love is and celebrate it every second of their lives as a shining example to us all, whether we are paying attention or not!  It is not merely my intent to set up a scenario in which we are poised to somehow judge how lovely the world is or is not…  though as citizens of the world we are duly so vested to freely express our opinions.  I want to inspire every one to express themselves because most of all those places and people where love can be found are you and I.  We uphold the tenets of romantic love, we observe gentlemanly, civilized rules of social engagement.  We are where the love is….



FIN



Written by David Vollin on 7-27-12

No comments:

Post a Comment