FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

TAKING NOTES FROM SOME STYLISH BROTHAS

Over the years I have been quietly taking notes from stylish brothas, borrowing elements of style and incorporating them into my personal expression of style.  I would like to give them credit for their effort and hopefully these men who inspired me will will or have inspired you as well.  If so, then we will be waling down this avenue together recalling some of the greatest men of style...

I was sitting out at a cafe enjoying the summer sun when a handsome and particularly stylish gentleman came up to me and mentioned that he particularly liked my fedora.  "Well", I said, "Thank you so much it is a vintage hat from the early fifties."  We began to talk about hats and style in general and both found that from an early age we had both got our fashion tips  from the older mature gentlemen that made an impression upon us.  More than other thing the icons I came to admire from  the jazz, blues and film industries shaped my personal style.  As a child and young man I took careful notes of the clothing my father and his buddies wore; how tweeds were worn with turtulenecks, how cufflinks and cuffs were worn, how hats were tipped, cravats knotted and such, I saved it all up for a time when i could use it.  By my mid teens I was buying 1940's zuit suits, smoking jackets and 50's sharkskins from vintage stores.  I had to wear suspenders to keep the large pants from falling off.  My parents must have thought I was a  riot in those big 40's suits and tuxedos.  I was fascinated with tuxedos, especially tails which I found to be an especially elegant way for a gentleman to look. When I see a stylish man on the street I always stop to complement him.  The ultimate complemant one gentleman can pay to another is to aknowledge his mastery of true masculine style. 

So I mentally stored all of those images of dapper gentlemen who I felt had a strong sense of masculine style and now I would like to begin to chat about the lessons I learned  from some of my personal favorites over the years.  Nat King Cole always struck me as a sharp brotha who's send of style was a modern, clean and effortless as his music.  He always has a crisp unclutterd look.  He always made sure to show just the right amount of cuff.  In these two photographs he has a relaxed look, his jacket is full and comfortible looking and it seems to flow like silk from his shoulders. 

aI really like the the photo of Nat in the double breasted sweater.  Its such a cool classic look again with soft clean lines. Nat King Cole always had a soft but sharp feel to him.  He always looked as if he was dressed for a romantic date.   

To the left he sings in a suit made of a muted grey and blue with an oplescent sheen.  He accessorizes with a simple narrow black tie and silver watch. 

I like this picture of Nat with a black and white houndstooth fedora, black double breasted sweater, ivory, elongated collar polo shirt and soft light caramel coloured camel pants.  I'd love to have a sweater like his.
Below are two classic photographs of Nat King Cole standing with a white trenchcoat and playing keyboard with his signature black and white houndstooth fedora smoking a cigarette.  Again, Nat always keeps the palette simple.  He usually limits his ensembles to three or less colors and when he features a distinct pattern he allows it to be the sole point of interest never mixing plaids and stripes or any combination of patterns that are singularly bold. 

Sammy Davis Jr. on the right is my second choice.  Here is a young Sammy Davis Jr. Wearing a very well tailored suit, generous lapels soft and clean.  I love the width and fall of his polka dot necktie which he tied perfectly.  It falls like fine silk.  The bowtie makes the suit in my opinion. 
Sammy always seems to get photographed from the right side... perhaps he felt it was his best.  the next two shots show him wearing suits again... but O' how he wears them with such flair...  I especially love the soft woven patterned lilac jacket with the deep purple cravat.  I see that he mirrors his oversized round watch face with his silver cufflinks.  To the right he wears a clean suit with his cravate loosed about his neck... shirt collar unbuttoned.

The next photo below is of Sammy Davis Jr. with Carmen McRae.  Here is a chance to see him utilize colour.  He complements a grey suit with white pinstripes with a narrow red cravate.  Again, I like the roominess of his coat sleaves, they add a soft gracefullness to the suit allowing the fabric to flow. 

I want to look at some more casual shots of Sammy before moving on to the next canddidate.  To the lower right we see Sammy in a clean no fuss look with his sleeves rolled up to reveal a striking watch.  His collar is open and he has a look that says he is having fun.  To the left we find Sammy wering a bold combination of tweed jacket and striped shirt.... but I like it... it definitely works and he wears a subdued dark tie and miniature cufflinks so as to quiet the affair down to acceptable limits.  Bravo Sammy!




Lets jump forward a few decades to see how a suit can look especially sexy and comfortable but fit the body to perfection... I want to see Mr. Richard Roundtree in his strong 1970's polyester double knit  wide lapeled suit.  He is wearing a turtlenecked body shirt, something you may not know about if you did not have one in the 70's.  its a shirt that fit like a swimsuit transitioning into briefs to eliminate wrinkles and shirts balooning out from the waist. 


I really like this look because it it very young and not so precise...  The turtleneck was an essential element of a mans wordrobe from the late 1950's  to the 70's and I enjoyed the updated revival of the mock-turtleneck in the late 1990's and early 21st century.  I cant get this photographs of Sammy Davis Jr. with a mandarin collard suit jacket and a bright red turtleneck, it's so cool. 




Lets look at the vocalists from the soul group, "The Main Ingredient", showing us how a man can look sexy in a suit of clothes...  Wow! I love the super wide lapels... and the 4inch ties and wing spread collars to go with them. Although many men do not appreciate the aesthetic of the 70's there are actually some wonderful style tips to be learned.  One of them is proportion and the other is texture. 
Mens lapels, collars, sleeves and cravates were very large and exuberant up until the late 1800's.  By 1915 collars and lapels had changed significantly.  collars had got larger and taller and lapels had got smaller.  By the mid 1930's and 1940's suits had become very generous with huge luxurious lapels.  Trousers were pleated and full legged most trousers had flared legs commonly called bell-bottoms.  jackets were longer and cut full.  The 1940's and 1970's were similar in scale if not in detail.  Exploded plaids came back into style.  But the really cool feature about 70's suits that no other generation had enjoyed were the deeply raised textures woven into the polyester fabric.   I particularly loved bell bottomed pants and greatly miss them.  Of all of the revivals it appears these have not caught on again...  They made a brief come back in the late 1990's in denim but one thing was missing... Stacks!  Stack-heels or platforms are absolutely necessary in order to allow the generous weight of bell bottoms to fall elegantly.  I personally loved the way that double knot polyester fell when crafted into bell bottomed slacks...


Im going to swing back again because I want to hit on some very classic looks from the sixties starting with the Ramsey Louis Trio on the left and right.  Of course I love the picture of the trio in Chi-Town all wearing fur felt fedoras.  What a nice and unexpected splash of colour the yellow blazier makes.  Once again, these guys keep it simple with a color scheme of one basic color and one secondary color mediated by a tie and shirt, the occasional splash of tincture in a pocket square or hat feather. 

 Im going for the relaxed but structured and classic look next.  This look is all about texture and line, quality and simplicity.  A truly comfortable look has to be simple and the fabric has to be soft and open. 


Max Roach, on the left has a very soft and comfortable look... generous tweed slacks soft cotton shirt, collar unbuttoned and tie untied but with those cool mirrored shades... check out that cool 60's torchere lamp and marbelized shade against the wall.  I like this look because it can go ether way...its in-between being formal and casual...

Grover Washington Jr. to the right is totally relaxed.  his shirt is soft and has a wonderful drape catching his form without being tight.  His trousers are a loose cut with a nice white belt, so I assume he is wearing white shoes.  Opening up the neck to reveal a little chest and a little jewelry such as a medallion is always a sexy alternative to a tie. 
Sonny Rollins in red... What I like most about this look is the way it frames his face, his white beard... Sonny always had stunning and meticulously groomed facial hair...  His looks here show how to take a suit and make it into a fun and casual look soft and unfussed yet crisp and modern. 

 
And where would we be witout Issac Hayes...  Black Moses to give us the ultimate sexy casual masculine and richly sophisticated style...



No comments:

Post a Comment