FOR THE BROTHAS: AN INTRODUCTION

It must have been about 20 years ago when I first began thinking about creating a "Cultural Salon" as a reaction to the mundane social circles In Washington D.C. The richness of intellectual and artistic interchange had died, college friends had moved, the internet had not yet become the phenomenon it now is... I romanticised about the Salons of the mid to late 1800's in Paris, London and Berlin and the cultural dynamo of the Harlem Rennaisance. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman, an artist who lived and traveled with James Baldwin... Jimmy he affectionately called him, and he spoke often of their small cottage in southern France and of the many Artists, Poets and Luminaries that dropped in to chat and relax. Well, the impressionists, cubists, modernists, etc. all hung out together famously in those days and shared their ideas with one another creating a creative greenhouse in a world that was rapidly changing. I longed to have lived in those times, to have met Cassat, Rodin, Ellington, Fitzgerald, Baker, Balwin, well I did finally meet Baldwin and others purely for the joy of intellection upon the arts. This was in the late 1980's and by the mid 2000's I happened to run into a friend of mine from Hampton University who had been living in New York since he graduated in the early 90s. Well, I was surprised to hear him comment that in all of the wonder that is New York he never met anyone who ever really had anything interesting to say about art, literature, architecture, science, fashion or anything... I was so surprised to hear this since it had also been my experience. Well here I am in 2011 attempting the Virtual Salon...

Friday, February 4, 2011

African Americans Must Embrace the unpleasantness of our past enslavement!

For most African-Americans slavery is a legacy they are either ashamed of and or afraid to explore, they would rather put it off under the guise of, "Just moving foreward."  Understanding the details of our "struggle" and transforming them into a tradition with wich we celebrate our earned freedom will both preserve the history of our struggle and teach each new generation coping and survival strategies. 

When I was young attending an all white private school I was ashamed of my legacy as the descendant of slaves.  It was not until I became obsessed with this historical period in my college years that I truly began to revere the struggle behind the long centuries during the period of African American Enslavement.  As a teacher I read slave stories to my students.  These chronicles were often compiled by abolitionists who interviewed slaves and former slaves.  They were also compiled from interviews of freedmen after emancipation such as the accounts in the novel, "Bullwhip Days."  These accounts are not unlike the interviews of our Jewish brothers and sisters describing their experiences during the Holocost at the Second World War. 

The purpose of these slave interviews is not to insight anger and hatred of whites, rather it is to inform us of the true nature of struggle and to identify the reality that both wihtes and blacks shed sweat, blood, tears and sacrificed their lives and comfort for the greater good of human equality and freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment